Seaweed used: Kelp, Seaweed Seasoning
155–7 .5 cm (2-3 inch) piece of kelp snipped and soaked in warm water for 10 minutes.
1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil or 25g (1 ounce) butter
1 onion chopped roughly
6 garlic cloves chopped roughly
2 medium carrots chopped roughly
One can plum tomatoes
1 L (1 1/4 pints) land and sea vegetable stock OR
1 L (1 1/4 pints) water 1 tablespoon Marigold stock and 1 dessertspoon seaweed seasoning
2 large red peppers roasted (see below) or 1 jar of ready roasted peppers
5 g (5 ounces) red lentils well washed and soaked in cold water for five minutes
1 teaspoon marjoram
To Garnish Walnuts chopped and pumpkin seeds.
1 Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan and sweat the onion and garlic for 5 minutes with the lid on. Add in the diced carrot and allow to sweat for another 10 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, stock, red peppers, kelp with soaking water and lentils and stir well.
3. Simmer gently for 10 to 20 minutes until the lentils are cooked. Add the Marjoram and blend until smooth.
4. Ladle into wide bowls and garnish with walnuts and pumpkin seeds.
To Roast red pepper
Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Cut peppers in half lengthways and remove seeds. Place on baking tray and place in oven for about 20 minutes until skins become charred.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing charred skins and chopping roughly.
Inspired by a recipe from Prannie Rhatigan